Friday, June 4, 2010

Great Marketing

Today we took my car into the dealer to get front brakes and I noticed a sign which said something to the effect of: "We're going green and only washing vehicles if you request it with your service. Saving water, blah, blah, blah." I chuckled to myself and thought, "wow, great way to say 'we fired the guy that just washed the cars'. Because really, who wants to be the jerk wasting water by asking them to wash your car?"

Later on at Costco, the hubby and I grabbed bottles of Arrowhead from a machine because it felt like it was 4,000 degrees (might have been the extreme weight we were pushing around Costco) and I saw "Smaller cap. Less plastic." Or something to that effect, indicating that they were being environmentally friendly.

This got me thinking...how many companies are marketing cost saving measures as environmentally friendly? I mean, the whole concept of bottled water is an environmental nightmare. But less plastic is not only less waste, but also less money. Genius marketing move!

2 comments:

Queen B said...

yeah, the car washing is ridiculous!

KFuj said...

They didn't get rid of the Acura car washer. Did you take it to Metro Honda?

I agree going green for most companies saves money for them while making them look good!