Friday, December 28, 2007

Henry!

And now, finally the Henry story...

Three years ago my mom made HAM on THANKSGIVING and I was outraged! So for Christmas I made my first turkey and decided to name him Henry I, thus intending to get to Henry VIII in 8 years.

Here are the pictures along with things I've learned.

HENRY I:

Meat thermometers ROCK...as long as you make sure they are away from the side of the pan. It helps assure hypochondriacs like myself that your meat is in fact cooked thoroughly. Turkey bags are a MUST!

This is my TA-DA moment after successfully cooking my first turkey...it wasn't until Henry was carved that I noticed my eyes were closed...sigh...

Throw away pans - both good and bad. Clean up is a breeze, but they aren't very sturdy.
Do not forget the turkey lifter - I didn't the first two years but did this year - NOT a good thing.

HENRY II:
Sadly, this is my only photo of Henry II (that's him in the oven).


HENRY III:
My first two Henrys (as I recall) had their necks covered, so that when I removed them, I didn't see this:
Somehow, rinsing my Henry is fun, as is rubbing him up with oil before plopping him in his bag.
This is my last picture of Henry III - I'd planned to take a picture in all his cooked glory, but forgot.

I'm looking forward to Henry IV!!!

5 comments:

Queen B said...

LOVE the Henry II photo!!!

Are you this methodical about cooking all turkeys or just those named Henry?

Ann said...

OK..Ham on Thanksgiving is wrong..shame on your Mom!

I love Henry!

Kim Thomas said...

I want to know what is special about the bag.......do tell.

Jenn Ann said...

I only cook Henrys!

Turkey bags are special because they keep the turkey really moist and aide with the clean up. No basting required. Just throw the turkey in the bag with some oil (and any additional seasoning you'd like), tie it up, and your Henry will be nice and juicy in about 3 1/2 hours! Basically even those who cannot cook (i.e. me with Henry I & II) can pull this off.

Bianka said...

I remember going through the process of naming Henry with you! At least.. I think I remember.. Hmm..