Monday, April 5, 2010

The Gift That Keeps on Giving: 2010 Census

As this is now my 4th post on the Census, I have given it its own Label.

I'm adding Census Worker to my list of alternative careers. :) Today I saw a notification that the US Census Bureau was hiring part-time Census Workers and was immediately drawn to click on the link. After all, the forms were all supposed to be mailed back on the first...why are they hiring now? The answer...to be one of the people that gets to go door to door of the people that didn't complete their form and mail it back and gather the information from them (can we say ENABLERS?!)

In case you are interested in applying, I pulled the job qualifications from their FAQ section:

You may qualify for a job if:

  • You are able to read, write, and speak English. check
  • You are a U.S. citizen. check
  • You are a legal permanent resident, or non-citizen with an appropriate work visa, and you possess a bilingual skill for which there are no available qualified U.S. citizens. check and wow
  • You are at least 18 years old. check
  • You have a valid social security number. check
  • You take a written test of basic skills.check...at least the practice version (see below)
  • You have a valid driver's license. check
  • You pass a background check. check...at least I should...I'm boring that way
  • You commit to four days of training. You will be paid for training days. Training can be held either during daytime hours or during evening and weekend hours. check...4 DAYS?! Um, the form took me less than 4 minutes to complete. I'd only need to knock on doors and gather the info.

Local Offices can be found here. Pay varies pretty widely from $11.00/hour up to $22.00. My local office:
Diamond Bar
Pipeline Avenue
Chino Hills, CA 91709
Phone: 909-438-2498
Census takers start at: $16.50/hour
Things that I'd like to point out: Why is it called the Diamond Bar office if it's in Chino Hills? It's not like Diamond Bar is the bigger city. You are required to call the office's number, get their address (because they only give you the street...um, Cost Savings Idea #4381: list the address number and eliminate the person answering these calls...if it goes to a recording, just skip this step), go down to the office and hand in their application and take a test.

The Practice Test can be found here. In reviewing the questions, Striker said "Are people really this stupid?!"

The Application can be found here. My personal favorites are Questions #22 and 26a.

If you're interested in applying, the instructions can be found here. No, you may not apply online or via email. Cost Savings Idea #4382: electronic transmission devices/PDAs for field people. Less processing, fewer errors...I'm assuming if they can find the information online about how to apply, they could operate a PDA basic enough to collect Census data.

I mailed my form back, but now I wish I hadn't so that I could interview and report on the person that knocked on my door. I think I shall apply for a "temporary" position, even though I know I know that "all applicants may not be selected for a position". Wish me luck! ;)

2 comments:

Paula said...

Wow! And you are very thorough, precise and pay attention to details...qualities all census takers should have!

Kim Thomas said...

I would be paid 22 bucks for sure