Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday is the Day After Mardi Gras

Ok, so I'm faux Catholic*, but I'm generally in the know on these sorts of things. Until yesterday, when I read ABBA's post and made the connection that Mardi Gras is the day before Ash Wednesday. (Insert your mockery in the comments section please).

Anyhow, I sometimes observe Lent, sometimes don't. When the boys are a little older we'll be observing for sure, since I feel it's important for them to have that upbringing even if they choose to go the faux Catholic route later. When trying to think of something to give up for Lent this year, I came up with TV and chocolate. TV was ruled out, because what else would I do while feeding the boys at 2 AM in the relative darkness? Once the boys are sleeping through the night and awake during the day more (coming soon as we're only waking up once during the night now!) my TV viewing should return back to normal levels. Besides, I'm not waiting 4 weeks to watch 24 ;)

As for chocolate, well I only have about 3 months of consumption left before I need to pretty much eliminate it from my life. Once I'm no longer on the greatest weight loss plan on the planet (nursing twins), I'll need to once again eat responsibly and watch my intake of dessert items. Now I see why some mothers nurse until their kids are 2...food fest! So, I'm not about to shave a month off of my chocolate indulgence.

So this led me to get creative...for Lent I'll be giving up my complete BlackBerry dependency. This means that I will not be reading blog posts on my BlackBerry, but will be opening up my laptop (or, gasp, using Striker's desktop) to read blog posts, which will lead to comments from me for you. You could say that I'm giving up Commenting Laziness. ;)


*faux Catholic - 1. never baptized in The Church, yet married to a Catholic and observe the traditional aspects of the religion. Just don't regularly attend Mass. Also refuse to attend classes to become an official Catholic when husband was baptized as an infant and has attended Mass fewer times than I, yet is considered a "real" Catholic. (i.e. Me) 2. someone who was baptized as an infant, yet is less "Catholic" that someone under definition 1 (i.e. Striker)

Must end post now...crying twinfants...

5 comments:

Queen B said...

got confused reading that last paragraph, so I'll stick with thinking of you as general faux Catholic ;)

LOL that you didn't know the Fat Tues/Ash Wednesday connection!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY! For giving up commenting laziness! But what does this mean for bbm?

Andrea said...

You do know that Carnival around the world is also the big celebration in preparation for Lent, right?

I would consider myself a faux Catholic as well, since I don't do the church thing anymore...but whatever.

Kim Thomas said...

Glad to see that comment laziness is being abandoned. It's a bit of a downer.

Jane said...

Ash Wednesday is one of my favorite holidays. I celebrate even more than Valentines Day

KFuj said...

So I'm a real Catholic like Striker?

See Abba's blog for what I'm giving up, lol. I'm actually giving to others than giving up! I feel better too :-)