Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Irony?

Last night I got home from work and opened 4 days worth of mail (hey, I was in Vegas and visiting a friend remember?) One of the letters that I opened was from my dermatologist. It was the lab report for the mole that he removed a few weeks ago. The mole was "abnormal". I then proceeded to head off to the Team Captain's meeting for the Relay for Life event in Chino. As I was sitting in the parking lot waiting, I messaged Kim...

JA: Reasons I'm like you...I have an abnormal mole and I am convinced that I have skin cancer.
KT: Oh no. When did it show up?
JA: I've had it forever
KT: Oh well that's good
JA: Except that skin cancer runs in my family
KT (aka KT MD): I think it has to have changed significantly
JA: They removed it and the lab said it was abnormal - see how that just made you worry?
KT: Oh dear!!! I hate that word
JA: Is there irony in the fact that I'm going to a Relay for Life meeting now?
KT: I hope not

My name is Jenn Ann and I'm a hypochondriac like Kim :)

9 comments:

Paula said...

Irony is that I found a lump about 15 minutes ago!!! It's in my upper arm--about 1/2 way between my pit and my elbow. I was going to wait a while, but now you have freaked me out.

Queen B said...

ugh, double ugh

Reason I hope I'm not like JA: I have like 3 weird moles that I worry about from time to time. Hope they're not as "abnormal" as I make them out to be.

Ann said...

Abnormal doesn't necessarily mean it's cancerous. You & KT need to attend Hypochondriacs Anonymous! :)

Andrea said...

I had a mole removed from my temple a couple of years back because it was "abnormal". I'd the mole for years, but it had doubled in size and was hard and painful. Turns out there was a cyst under it, but nothing disconcerting.

Every time I go in for a checkup, I always ask my doctor about a couple of other moles on my arm, but she's always "nothing to worry about".

I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are no issues for you, but I do have to agree with the irony of the situation.

Kim Thomas said...

How do you like that "I hope not" Hardly reassuring am I?

Queen B said...

Kim, you are quite the Sensitive Sally

KFuj said...

Jenn I am sure it is nothing to worry about, when you were going through all of your stuff with Chari they didn't sent you a letter telling you about it, they talked to you in person. If it was serious/major they would have told you in person or made an apt to remove more of the mole.

Keep us updated!

Jane said...

recognition is the first step

Go see a dermatologist

Ruth Anne said...

The ABCDE's of moles (courtesy of WebMD):
Asymmetry-Unequal or asymmetric moles are suspicious.

Border-irregular, notched, scalloped, or indistinct,
Regular Border

Color-Variation of color

Diameter-larger than a pencil's eraser in size (> 6 mm)

Elevation-raised from of the skin

WebMD should be banned from hypochondriacs. If your nervous, check it out.