Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bad Baby/Pet Sitter

Last night my Facebook status said something to the effect of:
"Jennifer doesn't think her mom should be allowed to babysit pets or small children without extensive training."

The story: My sister was at my house pretty much all weekend to assist in the Great Binder Assembly of 2008. At one point she mocked the fact that I had only decorated the front of my tree (because I haven't yet accumulated enough ornaments to fill the whole tree - besides, who sees the back of it anyway?). She then felt compelled to report back to my mother that I had a half naked tree in my living room. Feeling sorry for me and my Charlie Brown Christmas tree, both my mom and aunt descended upon my house last night to properly fill my tree with ornaments left over from my mom's collection after snowmen threw up all over her tree (she has a snowman theme).

I cautioned them not to decorate the bottom branches because my cats, particularly Felix, would not tolerate having to duck under and would sure bat the ornaments off of the lowest branches. Of course my mom did not listen to me, and within seconds, Felix had batted off an ornament. I modified my warning to only use non-breakables on the lowest branches and vowed that I would not pick up any ornaments that were batted off between then and Christmas (when my mom will come over next) so that she could see the devastation.

My aunt has 2 cats and a dog as well, so she understood why I was cautioning my tree decorators. My mom has not had any cats in her house for about 15 years, claims to not like animals, and has not been blessed by having any small children in her home since my sister and I were little. I need to take pictures of her house decorated for Christmas as it rivals Mom Evans'. And thus, this is why my mom should not pet sit or baby sit small children:

When we returned home from the grocery store, we found this:
It's the bag full of ornament hooks that my mom left on a table by the couch that the furries got into. Hopefully, none of them swallowed any of the little suckers or I'll be borrowing a page from the Kim1Champ playbook.


2 comments:

Queen B said...

I watched my parents' dog back entirely into the Christmas tree while trying to escape Faith the other night. Luckily their tree only has non-breakables on the lower branches...

Ann said...

Last year, when Kitty was still alive, we found her climbing up the center of our fake tree. She just wanted to hide there. And when she came out, about 1/3 of our ornaments were knocked down. Fun times.