Sunday, December 28, 2008

Mystery "Diet"

My Aunt, and particularly my sister, have been badgering me to give them a "menu" of what I've been eating to lose weight. The way I eat is pretty much based off the book: “The Insulin-Resistance Diet” by Cheryl R. Hart, MD. & Mary Kay Grossman, RD.

The Rules:
1) Never eat more than 30 grams of carbohydrates in a 2 hour period.
2) Always eat protein with your carbs (aim for 10 grams of protein per 30 grams of carbs). You can have protein without carbs, but never the other way around.
3) Dairy carbs don't "count". Sugar added to them does (ice cream, yogurt, etc.).
4) Fruits and vegetables are all you can eat, with the exceptions of potatoes.
5) Kiss french fries and potatoes good-bye except in very small quantities on rare occasions.
6) The good news is that fast food is legal.
7) Desserts that follow the above rules are legal. I kept them in the same category as potatoes at first...now I don't really want them.
8) Whenever possible, substitute wheat carbs in place of white.
9) Portions are important - you'll spend some time reading labels until you get the carb maximums done. That's what ends up control your portions.

Menu Options:
Breakfast
Yogurt
Pretty much all Starbucks Grande Lattes
Breakfast Jacks from Jack in the Box
Non-sugary cereals
Kashi bars

Snack
String Cheese
Almonds or other nuts
Protein shakes
Apples and peanut butter
Fruits and veggies until you're full

Lunch
Kid's meals from just about anywhere are ok if you can substitute something for the fries.
Bean & Cheese burrito from Taco Bell
6 piece Chicken Nuggets from McDonalds
Jr. Cheeseburger from Wendy's
Salads with chicken

Snack
More of the above snacks
Bonus: ice cream cones from McDonald's are legal!

Dinner
If you pass on potatoes and bread (except for a few bites), and add protein, you're in good shape.
Wheat Spaghetti with meatballs
Instead of rice, potatoes, or pasta, I substitute beans as a side to my meat. When I want rice or pasta, I use brown/wheat.
2 slices of hawaiia pizza on thin or wheat crust

The Double Stuf Oreos that I just ate? Balanced by dunking them in milk :)

6 comments:

Kim Thomas said...

I am laughing at myself. I read:

4) Fruits and vegetables are all you can eat, with the exceptions of potatoes.

And I thought, girly you are wrong if you are eating string cheese, protein shakes, peanut butter and chicken

Then, oh duh

Queen B said...

I had the same thought, KT. Having served as Jenn's carb/protein looker-upper on multiple occasions + receiving a number of pics of McD's ice cream cones, I was somewhat familiar on the rules :) It is obviously working - you are looking fab!

PS: nothing I've eaten over the last 5 days fits the criteria...hmmm...

LoSpace said...

Rock on, maybe you need a new blog called "Hottie Non Potato Eater" -- or something . . .

Anonymous said...

This diet may help me with my PCOs. Insulin resistance plays a major role in this condition. I like that your menu isn't as restrictive as the Atkins diet. Yet it has some similarites. And you get to incorporate fast food into your menu, which is great for todays world.

Jane said...

Way too complicated

Ruth Anne said...

If you get bold, I want to see before and afters!

Congrates on being healthy.

Sounds like a great diet to regulate hormones and get prego. Be careful it might make you gain 25-30lbs. ;)