Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My kitten is making my dog stupid 1/17

It's not news that my kitten is missing a few marbles. He gets lost from time to time (remember he's an indoor cat) and generally does stupid crap all the time. He is rather fond of TV and we often catch him watching various shows...we think Idol is his new favorite.

My dog is very intelligent. He has a fairly extensive vocabulary - his favorite words are: go, outside, bye-bye, sleepies, Molly, and treat. Like Pavlov's dog, turning off the TV at night causes him to jump off the couch and run to the bedroom for "sleepies time". The sound of the trash can being emptied in the kitchen causes him to run to the back door to go "outside". Seeing me put on shoes sends him into panic mode in fear that I might leave him, unless he hears he jingle of the dog tags on his collar and then he becomes excited, like a kid at Christmas, because he knows he gets to "go" with mommy...and usually that means he gets to see "Molly". I know it's not rocket science, but for a dog that is roughly the size of a short cat, I'm impressed.

Ever since we got Felix (the kitten) 8 or 9 months ago, I've become concerned that Oskar (the dog) isn't quite as brilliant as I thought he was. For example, I fell asleep on the couch last night. Will (the husband) knows better than to wake me once I've fallen asleep so I slept there. Oskar of course slept on the couch with me because he absolutely HAS to touch me at all times while we sleep. Felix went to bed with Daddy because he ABSOLUTELY loves to sleep at the foot of my side of the bed. (Do the math - that's me, the kitten, AND the dog on my half of the bed - thank goodness it's a Cal King). Anyhow, at about 3:30 AM the dog starts barking at something. Oskar is 10 pounds, not much of a guard dog, but he sounds bigger than he is and started "protecting" us after spending a good amount of time with Molly (the beagle that barks at EVERYTHING). I obviously look to see what creature is threatening me and see the kitten sitting in the hallway. Oskar continues to bark his head off until Will and I get up and each pick up a "Furry" and head to the bedroom. But the stupidity doesn't stop there. Tonight, I'm sitting on the couch blogging about my quads and Will is cooking dinner when Oskar starts barking again. I look up and he is sitting on the hearth of the fireplace looking straight at his reflection in the glass, barking.He's lucky I love him!!

No comments: