Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Week 1 1/8

I went to 24 Hour Fitness and got a membership January 2nd (last Tuesday) like probably thousands of other Americans. The strain of having to do calculations in my head to ensure I was getting the best deal was enough exercise for one day, so I went home. I wasn't actually prepared to work out that day :) Besides, my 5 sessions with a personal trainer were going to kick my butt into shape and I still had a week before my first session.

Wednesday, I go to the gym for day #1...25 minutes and 5 miles on the stationary bike later, I'm feeling confident that I can do this.

Thursday is bowling and Friday is the day from hell at work, so no gym. I've been eating less in an effort to shrink my stomach so I'm not starving all the time when the trainer gives me my meal plan.

Matt's joining me in the effort to lose weight (could be because I -affectionately- refer to him as "Tubby") and has become one of my "food nazis". Judy Hsu is my other "food nazi". She did such a good job making Janine feel guilty that I know she'll always tell me not to eat whatever it is I'm asking if I can eat. :)

I'm doing pretty well until Friday at about 5:30. I'm still at work as are Les and Matt. At that point I was willing to kill for a Miguel's Jr. bean and cheese burrito! If you've never had a MJB&CB you are missing out. I ask my food nazi what I can eat at Jack in the box on my way home since I know there's no way in hell I'm going to make it all the way home without eating. I know that the only way to prevent myself from eating at Miguel's is to eat before I get to Corona. My food nazi and Les confirm that a taco at JITB isn't that bad for you...who knew?!
At 6:30, I'm dying!!! I'm STARVING and I NEED FOOD!!! Matt says that he'll go make us chicken breasts for dinner. Desparate for food I accept the offer for a plain chicken breast cooked in the microwave. He brings it to me piping hot and I'm unable to determine why it's an odd texture until I'm almost finished devouring it. What I originally thought was a result of microwaving the piece of meat, was actually the result of it being some weird protein or soy concoction. I was so hungry I didn't even care (SO not like me!) I leave work around 7:15 and go to JITB to get my tacos...HEAVEN!!!

Saturday, my mom and aunt suggest that I go walking with them instead of going to the gym. I figure "what the heck? why not? I'm planning on taking it fairly slow until I meet with the trainer. OMG I THINK MY MOM AND AUNT WERE TRYING TO KILL ME!!! My mom is 52, my aunt 46. I've walked with them before and was able to run circles around them. Then we start off on their daily walk (they have been walking daily since last April) and I suspect this might be more difficult than anticipated when mom won't commit to the duration and she mentions she takes 2-3 breaks while my aunt circles the end of the cul-de-sacs. I begin to get winded somewhere around mile 2...I figure we're almost done so it's good timing. Then...we take a turn and continue walking. I refuse to complain since these are old women, but I'm huffing and puffing. After 3.5 miles we finally get back to my aunt's house where I collapse, face down, on her living room floor.

Sunday I wake up not wanting to move. Most of the pain is in my ass, not much of a surprise since I sit on it almost constantly. No gym or exercise Sunday.

Monday, my original plan is to just work my upper body since my butt still sort of hurts and tomorrow I meet with the trainer. But I've been eyeing the Dancers Workout Class and it gives me a great excuse to leave work at exactly 5:00 to make it on time. (CJB is in town and I've yet to hear from him directly since he left our office in September). I get to the Mo Val 24HF and spend 15 minutes on the bike warming up before the class. The class is only 30 minutes long...how bad can it be? (I used to suffer through 8+ hours of ballet in my Color Guard days.) I'm dying throughout the class. All of the muscles that have been on vacation for the last 8 years were screaming at me throughout the class. IT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME and I will definitely go back, but I'm already sore and I don't meet the trainer until tomorrow...wish me luck!

No comments: