Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Weekend Travel

The hubby and I traveled from LAX to Columbus, Ohio this weekend. At one point we actually called home to leave a message to remind me of the five things I needed to blog about. Unfortunately, I was not able to take any discreet photos.

1) Transportation - No joke, we're sitting at the gate in Columbus on our way home and I overhear this from the couple next to me (Asian businessman to his Eastern European wife): "Have you arranged for transportation when we arrive in Los Angeles?" I found the use of the word "transportation" odd. Could just be me. I began referring to the wife as a mail order bride. I'm terrible, I know.

2) Angry Passenger - We flew Southwest, so when we stopped in Phoenix we were lucky enough to score the 2 seats in the emergency exit row. YAY! When the rest of the people began to board a guy was waiting to take the middle seat in the exit row behind us. The following ensued:
Flight Attendant: Sir, would you like me to hold your bag while you wait to take your seat?
Angry Man: Well, I am just waiting for this guy to move!
Flight Attendant: Sir, I was just trying to help you out. There's no need to get angry.
Angry Man: Hey, calm down, okay?
Flight Attendant: Sir, if you are going to have that attitude, you should not be sitting in an exit row.
At this point, angry man doesn't say anymore. Then, when the flight attendant is giving our exit row instructions, she makes extra sure to see that he understands, and makes sure that he responds to every question, which just makes him even more angry. Finally, what do you think angry man orders for his drink? Beer, of course.

3) Stupid Travelers - We arrived early at LAX and we sat on the taxi way for what seemed like hours. We sat in one spot for about 10 minutes, then we moved about 20 feet and stopped again. It was obvious that we were still in no man's land. Someone in the back decided they did not want to be patient, so they hit the little service button, which causes a ding...similar to the one when the pilot turns off the seat belt sign. So, after repeatedly being told to stay in our seats with our seat belts securely fastened due to being on an active taxi way, what do people do when they hear the ding? They stand up and start unpacking their stuff of course. If I were the flight attendant, I would have said, "for those of you who stood up, you are free to exit the plane. If you can survive the 30 foot fall, police shooting at you and dogs chasing you, you deserve to get off the plane early. For the rest of you, thank you for being patient while we wait for our gate to be freed up."

4) Ontario vs. LAX - Note to self: Don't be cheap and pay the extra money to fly out of Ontario. You will be MUCH happier and will better be able to resist the urge to strangle those described in #3. If you haven't flown through Ontario, you should. It is far less crowded and a lot more clean than LAX.

5) British lady at LAX?! - Why is the recorded greeting/advisory at the baggage claim at LAX a British woman? Might this confuse those who may be visiting from another country? Then again, it could be in Spanish...

3 comments:

Queen B said...

Ha! What Pavlov's dogs in #3... that's awesome! And with it being Southwest, I'm shocked the flight attendant didn't make that exact announcement!

Ann said...

LOL - usually a british-sounding voice is used because people perceive it to be more clear. That's what I've been told, anyway!

Kim Thomas said...

This was a fantastic blog! There is so much here I don't know where to begin.

*I would feel safe to have you in the Emergency Exit Row but I usually sit in the very front of the plane so I can get off quickly or when flying into Burbank, the very back of the plane.
* Yesterday, we sat waiting for our gate for a few minutes and a man in my row was pissed and talking to his wife on the phone. He said "The fact that I am going to be seeing you in a few minutes is the only thing that is keeping these three teenagers in front of me alive. He said it loud enough for several rows to hear.
*Yes, pay the extra money and fly into Burbank or Ontario.
*I may fly out of LAX soon just so I can hear the British lady. Thats hilarious.