Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Return of the Evil Car...

Will here. Jenn asked me to "guest blog" about my recent trip to the Lexus dealer. I took my car in to get the service done. This was considered a "minor" service, and the total estimate was $140. Yeah, and this is a MINOR service. Oh, but it gets better...

My brakes were starting to grind a little bit. Mind you, they are the original brakes (pads, rotor, everything) and the car has 40,000 miles on it. So, we did get a lot out of those brakes. However, I did have a feeling that they had met their end. Now, the last time I took the car in, they told me that the brakes still looked good. But, of course, a couple of hours after I dropped the car off, they told me that the brakes pads need to be replaced. No surprise there. However, they also said that the rotors were worn down to a point that they had to be replaced as well. I was NOT planning on that. Then, they also told me that the treads on my rear right tire had to be replaced! Of course, that means replacing two tires. The car has low profile tires, and they aren't cheap. So, after this turn of events, I was not all that happy with my car. I knew that the price tag was not going to be good. So, I started looking at Nissan Altimas online. I really like them, I must say.

After work, I went to pick up the car. The final bill was a little over $1,500! Again, I begin to curse the car in my mind. And I know this isn't the end, because the rear brakes and front tires are still originals, so it's a matter of time until those are replaces. The madness isn't even over yet!

So now, I am contemplating getting rid of it. On one hand, I just put a good amount of money into the car. On the other hand, I will have put even more into it, and the Altima would be lower on monthly payments and maintenance. Still, the Lexus is a really nice car, so it's quite a dilemma.


Recent development - I scratched the rim of my right front tire at a gas station on the way home from work today. It almost matches the one I got at a Carl's Jr. drive thru (see Jenn's earlier blog post about that here). This time, it involved a piece of sidewalk that juts out with no warning. I was trying to get around a car that was filling up in front of me. To the side of the car, there was plenty of clearance, so I went to go around and BOOM, I thought I ran over something, because I couldn't see anything. I backed up and still nothing. So, I just waited for the car in front of me to leave, and when I left, I finally saw the sidewalk turn out in my rear view mirror. I have to agree with Jenn that this car is possessed, and that getting a new car would be good on the wallet, my nerves...and hell, it even might save my life!!

1 comment:

Jenn Ann said...

Not that he's ever dramatic :)