Friday, March 13, 2009

Puff Doggy

Oskar got his rabies shot today. The first two times he got it, he was fine. Third time's the charm. I looked over at him while watching 24 season 5 1:00 PM, and saw that his face was all puffy. I immediately referred to the instructions provided by the vet and found "Swelling of the face or ears" and "Hives or significant itching" listed under the section titled "Rarely, Pets may experience more serious conditions soon after vaccination including:" Clearly NOT good!

I called the pet hospital and they suggested I try giving him some Children's Benadryl. I immediately headed for Walgreens and returned home in record time, pondering the whole way home how I was going to get Oskar to swallow a teaspoon of syrup. I was crossing my fingers that he'd like it.

Sadly, he was SO not into. I tried getting him to lick it off my fingers, no luck. No eye droppers in house, crap. Eureka! Syringe! (most of you know why I have a large supply of syringes on hand. For those of you that don't, no, I am not a drug addict.) I bolt up the stairs with Oskar under my arm and decide to position us in the bath tub to minimize the sticky cherry syrup from getting everywhere, as I was already covered in a good amount.

Eventually, with a little help from the hubby, I was successful and his face began to deflate. His hives are now gone. He's still ignoring me, but with a little coaxing, I can get him to give me kisses. And now we can resume 24. :)

2 comments:

Paula said...

Poor lil' baby dog!! I hope he's up and running!! Breaks my heart to see sad puppies!

Queen B said...

I'm shocked that you didn't immediately think of syringes. When I had to give Doogie pedialyte, I immediately went for the syringes :)