Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Science Experiment: Jenn Ann Style

I am admittedly getting a little tired of being a science experiment, but kinda like all of the random things I've learned about how my body works. I could live quite happily if I never heard a medical professional utter "that's odd" while looking at one of my body parts or lab results again!

This most recently occurred at the dentist last week when he noticed that not only had a filling cracked (and it could not be more than 4 years old as I had NEVER had a cavity before that), but that I had a pin prick sized cavity forming on the top of a molar, no where near a crack or crevice.

In case you've lost track of my "that's odd" medical moments, here's a quick run down: ruptured appendix at 10, scoliosis, chiari malformation, amenorrhea, PCOS, and unexplained infertility. My body has the uncanny ability to adapt to these oddities and doctors are often baffled because I don't present the "usual" symptoms. This has led to my regular Googling of various symptoms to self-diagnose...this often pays off as I learn cause and effect for various things like caffeine and sugar.

Moral of this story is that I will be sacrificing caffeine and sugar, sticking to my super strict diet for those of us that are insulin resistant, and exercising more for at least the next month. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

KFuj said...

I wish you the best of luck. Want to schedule some workout at the Preserve?

Kim Thomas said...

chiari malformation takes the cake for the oddest.

As for me, I just think I have odd things.

Queen B said...

ugh. that's odd ;)