Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Award for Worst Customer Service

Several of the faithful readers are rather artsy, so I know you'll be with me on this one...

Today I went to Michaels at lunch in search of some ribbon for my Uncle's wedding in June that I'm acting as wedding coordinator for. Ribbon is very important as it determines just about everything else I'll get. I totally scored and found the perfect shade in satin in the sizes that I knew I'd need. I headed to the checkstand and found myself 4th in line. Of course, the line moved slowly since everyone wanted to discuss their various projects or were asked about them by the cashier.

More people joined the line behind me. The lone cashier did not call for a back up cashier. However, when another employee walked by (also not bothering to jump on a register and help get the line down), the cashier said to the employee, "I need to take my lunch". It was at this point that I updated my Facebook status to "Jennifer is baffled by the customer service at Michaels" and knew I'd be writing this blog. HUH?! With 5 people in line you decide that you need to take your lunch?! On what planet?! Luckily the employee walking by decided to cover for the cashier so that we were all not left standing there with our items.

BTW, this happens on a regular basis at every Michaels I've been to regardless of the day or time. Please tell me I'm not the only one with this experience?

Any other nominees for the Worst Customer Service Award?

8 comments:

Queen B said...

I've been at a variety of stores where lunch break time was called while I was in line. Apparently lunch breaks are very critical to cashiers :)

Kim Thomas said...

Verizon is still on my list for worst.

Anonymous said...

I agree Kim! When I was with Verizon I can not tell you how many times I heard people go off on their CS people. The worst part is that there are like 10 million people standing around doing nothing while you wait for your name to be called just to even look/buy a new phone,forget repairs/questions. But Michaels is horrible with their lines. There's always one line with 10 people in it and then they may open another just to have 2 long lines going! Makes no sense.

Ruth Anne said...

I am usually so frustrated by the time I get to the checkout, I don't notice anything around me.

Andrea said...

I have found that to be the case in a number of Michael's as well as JoAnn's and other chain crafty kinds of stores. I guess they don't think the craft world will get pinched by the economic downturns, much like drinking establishments. Everybody wants to drown their money troubles in booze or baubles, I guess.

Paula said...

I wanted to lay into an incredibly rude cashier at Jo-Ann's once.

Jane said...

I am boycotting Michaels for a simliar experience 6 months ago

Bianka said...

What is it with Michael's?? The last time I went it was obnoxiously crowded for some reason, literally at least a dozen of us in line. There were two cashiers working registers, and THREE other cashiers standing at an unused register chatting. I was so aggravated.. I don't think my stink eye was helping.