Saturday, May 15, 2010

Public Service Announcement - Neosporin

Apparently I am part of 20% of the population that is allergic to Neosporin. Of course it's taken me 19 years to self diagnose (love me some Google) and I've NEVER heard of anyone else being allergic until I posted it on my Facebook status. BTW, 10% of the population is allergic to penicillin.

Those that are allergic break out in a NASTY red rash on the area covered by the Neosporin. (I won't post the picture of my wrist, but just ask KT, it's NASTY). Now, I've had several of these rashes before...the earliest I can recall dating back to my appendectomy when I was 10...and always thought it was a reaction to all the moisture being covered and festering. There is one brief mention on the tube about a potential allergic reaction/rash that is standard on most medications...you'd think with a 20% allergy rate it might be a little more prominent? I guess since it is "just" a pesky rash and not life threatening it's not a big deal. (Please note, the rash doesn't become nasty unless you repeatedly coat your skin in the stuff for DAYS because you are trying to avoid infection as a result of popping the blisters carrying/caring for your twinfants. And no, I'm not going to the doctor..
.no infection and I know the rash will go away soon.)

Polysporin is fine. It's also cheaper...winner?

2 comments:

KFuj said...

Yeah for google... I can't believe it took you this long to figure that out so not like you. Glad you are getting better!

Kim Thomas said...

It is so nasty. I can't believe how awful it looks. I suggested the ER (Of course I did)