Saturday, March 8, 2008

Birthday Extravaganza - (last) Saturday

Please note: This will be long as I need to catch up - sorry Kim :)

On the agenda:
Wine Tasting

I went wine tasting in Temecula with my mom, aunt, mother-in-law, sister, Rachel, Pickle, KFuj, and a previously unmentioned co-worker we'll call not-Jan (only Rach and Pickle will truly understand the humor in naming not-Jan - sorry). We visited South Coast Winery and Ponte Winery. Ponte was my favorite and I'd highly recommend it!

It was my first time wine tasting and Pickle did a TREMENDOUS job coordinating and selecting the two wineries that we went to. Thanks Pickle!

We had a picnic snack of cheese and crackers, sandwiches, and grapes in between wineries and one of the Ritz crackers ended up on the ground in the middle of the parking lot. My mom didn't want the little birdie that would surely claim it to risk becoming road kill, so she placed it safely in the branch of a nearby tree.

Poker chips? Nope! Each chip represents a taste of wine...somehow my chips kept multiplying!

We couldn't remember the name of this wine and could barely pronounce it, but we all generally liked it. We began calling it Gewurzt-Janiner or Janiner for short.

It was Rachel's first time wine tasting too...she was less of a fan than I was, but she gave it a valiant effort!

When Pickle couldn't decide, she opted for a glass for each hand!

KFuj and Pickle with a bottle of the Janiner. I should have kept track of the number of bottles purchased...I'm estimating somewhere around 10?


All of the really good group pictures are on my sister's or Kfuj's camera (you think I was going to put my precious camera in jeopardy with tipsy Jenn?) and I have yet to receive them. I'll cut Kfuj some slack as she was buying a house and packing for a cruise since then, but my sister? Not so much. I'll steal them today when I see her and hopefully post them tonight.

5 comments:

Kim Thomas said...

Wow, this birthday extravaganza has been something else! I can't wait until you hit a milestone birthday, 30 should produce alot of interesting material!!!!

So Pickle....the picture of the pickle holding two glasses, another example of how holding 2 drinks produces a very hot picture!!! The collection is growing!

Pickle said...

I had so much fun. I think I did a great job in planning as well so much so as now I am a part of the Ponte Winery club. Yay. Can't wait to have a wino party at my new pad. Love ya Jenn Helen Happy Birthday again!!!

Queen B said...

ok... I must call the SoCal girls amateurs for only hitting 2 wineries ;) I do have to give NCal the market on wine tastings! And, that might be the only thing I prefer to do in NCal to SoCal!

That said, it sounds like you guys had a great time, which is what counts. I'm glad you had such a fab bday extravaganza!

Side note... wikipedia has the pronunciation: guh-VOORTS-truh-MEE-ner. Sadly, that does not clear it up much, I'm sure. I happen to be a pro at saying it, so if you want to give me a call I will recite it as many times as it takes ;)

Anonymous said...

I have never been wine tasting but have always wanted to try it. Funny that I've been to Pechanga a zillion times yet have never stopped to taste the wines that Temecula has to offer!

Unknown said...

I had fun!!! Thank you Ellen Helen!!