Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Calling All Cows

Since we sprung forward last week, the hubby and I have been taking the dog for a walk each night now that it's still light outside when we get home from work. We've been varying our route a bit so that we don't get bored and the other night we decided to walk down the street near a dairy.

We were across the street from the cows when we noticed that two babies had recently been born. We stopped to watch the mother cow licking the baby and the cows close to the calf started watching us. As we watching another cow came over to the fence near us to watch us.

The next thing we knew, all of the cows in that particular pen had gathered together around the calves and stood watching us. My theory is that they were protecting the calves that couldn't even stand on their own yet. The hubby theorizes that they saw humans and thought that it was feeding time. I'll let you decide.

8 comments:

Paula said...

mmmm...I vote protecting. We used to have a neighboring cow pasture behind my house in college. The cows would ignore us whenever we were in the back yard. The farmer used a bell/horn to signal feeding time and all the cows would run to the barn (the gate to the barn was about 5 feet from our fence)...I'm guessing most farmers probably train their cows that way.

Queen B said...

where's the picture? It's hard to decipher without a photo ;)

Jenn Ann said...

I'm taking my phone with me tonight to try and create a reenactment :)

Ann said...

Cows are very curious animals in general, but it sounds to me like they were protecting the little ones.

Jinjer said...

I think they were protecting. But it is true, without concrete evidence of a photo, we may never know...

Kim Thomas said...

Where was your camera phone! (LOL I wrote that and then read Queen B's comment and your response)

Anonymous said...

I get totally creeped out when I see that any type of farm animal notices me noticing them.

Bianka said...

I say protecting. That's what wildebeasties do when lions are around.