Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Adventures with Rachel

Today Rachel and I took an early lunch to try and snag some free ribs from Pat & Oscars. We were not willing to wait in much of a line as we didn't want them that badly, but figured it was worth a try. (They were giving away free ribs to the first 110 people at each location). When we got there, this was the line:






So we left.



I sent the picture to Kim and then handed Mr. Pearl over to Rachel to have her follow up with a message. (It's all part of our master plan to get Rachel a Pearl - the more she uses it, the more she'll want one). As Kim1Champ pointed out yesterday, today is the first day under the new cell phone law which prevents you from holding a cell phone to your ear while driving.



While stopped at a red light, Rachel handed the phone back to me and I started browsing through my Inbox . Rachel started to say "That cop is totally looking for people..." when the Buena Park Police Officer in the cruiser next to us (who was also holding his cell phone) waved at us.



Rachel rolled down the window and the follow exchanged:

BPPD: (while laughing) You can get a ticket for that.

Me: (laughing with him) I wasn't talking on it, just holding it.

BPPD: CHP will still give you a ticket for that. But it's okay, I use mine too (holds up his phone).

Me: OK (Rachel rolls back up the window)



Me to Rachel: Not true. The phone has to be up to your ear. You can still text while driving. It's a loop hole. You just can't have the phone against your ear. Had he actually given me a ticket, I would have used the cell phone in question to pull up the law and show him.



:)

4 comments:

Pickle said...

That is so funny. You can't even follow the law on the first day??? Just kidding. I read the law.

Queen B said...

RO! Awesome. Does Rachel now get the power of the Pearl?

Captain Will said...

Actually, the officer was correct. CHP labels this "distracted driving" which has always been on the books. That, combined with the new law, will in fact lead to CHP writing citations for distracted driving if texting while driving or against the new law for actually using a cell phone. It sounds like some stations are going to be more forgiving. For example, San Diego County sheriff is giving an extra 30 day grace period before they start enforcing the law.

Kim Thomas said...

The law has been in effect two days. I have had 12 conversations in the car since, none with my bluetooth (I left it at my moms yesterday) 8 of them were on my speaker phone but in order to hear it I have to fold it up to my face.....