Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Quaking and Shaking

Yes, there was a pretty good earthquake in Chino Hills today (details can be found here), yes, I live in Chino, and yes, everything is fine. Just like the fires in October, as soon as everyone hears that something happened in Chino, I start getting phone calls and emails. Thanks to everyone for your concern, but 3 things fell off of shelves, nothing broke, and the furries seemed unaffected by the whole event. It probably helped that my cleaning ladies were here for their monthly visit and the furries weren't alone without humans to "protect".

I was riding in the car with Rachel on our way to lunch when the quake hit. Neither of us knew what it was, but it felt sorta like Rachel's rear tires slid like we were on ice or in sand or something. We shrugged it off and figure it was just a pot hole or something.

We got to the restaurant and Kevin called Rach to see if she was ok, which is when we found out that it was an earthquake. I also pointed out that we were on an overpass over a rather large wash when we had the "tire issue". When I found out that it was centered in Chino Hills, I busted out Mr. Pearl to request that the hubby go home to check on our furry critters as I feared that something might have fallen over and trapped them or that they'd be panicked and scared. He BBM'd back that he was already on his way and I went back to my lunch.

Then it occurred to me that he had immediately left to check on the furries, but hadn't called or BBM'd me!!! Of course, as is typical after a quake, all of the phone lines were jammed. (This is further reason that everyone should have a BlackBerry or a Smartphone that can send email at the very least!) Allegedly, KT made a call to her mom DURING the quake...talk about quick reflexes!

I'm not irrational or illogical though - the brownie point that the hubby earned for going home to check on the "kids" cancelled out the minus point for not checking on me first. :)

6 comments:

Queen B said...

yeah, what's up with him not checking on you first?! Though I'm sure my hubby would do the exact same thing.

LOL that y'all thought it was a pot hole :)

Captain Will said...

It wasn't for lack of effort. The first thing I did was make sure that everything was okay at work and that we had coverage (working for a public agency, I qualify as a "primary responder"). Then, I jumped in my car and immediately attempted to call Jenn numerous times (as she said, cell phone lines were jammed). Then, she BBM'd me (I forgot about that option). So that should not be a minus point!! :)

Andrea said...

I have to agree with the queen and laughed when you thought it was a pothole, especially if you were going over an overpass at the time. They don't actually get potholes, do they?

Paula said...

I didn't know you lived in Chino....glad you and yours are OK too!!

Kim Thomas said...

I got a BB messenger immediately from David. :)

Jinjer said...

I bet you were rocking pretty hard there in the good ol' epicenter!