Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Maternity Open House

Tonight was Maternity Open House at the hospital...woo hoo an hour (plus drive time) out of the house!

First off, it was way nicer than I thought it'd be...there were snacks, beverages, AND raffle prizes! The grand prize was a breast pump (which of course EVERYONE wanted) but I did not win it. I did however win a red Moby wrap...YAY!!! When they called your number (everyone got something) they asked if you were having a boy or girl...I of course answered "boys" which earned me instant celebrity status - and the envy of all the girl dads ;) - and the upgraded prize since I definitely need a Moby wrap! Those whose numbers were drawn after mine may have been a bit bitter with their picture frames and onesies, but HEY, it's not like they gave me the breast pump! And in my defense there was another Moby wrap given out.




















When leaving the parking garage, I was told by the security guard that I needed to pay at the parking pay station located back at the front of the hospital...um, NOT convenient and they really should prevent you from leaving the hospital without notifying you that once you waddle over to the parking lot or structure that you'll be trapped unless you've paid first. I waddle back over to the pay station with several of the dads following me like ducklings (Striker was bowling strikes tonight and really didn't miss anything that won't be covered in the MANY other classes we are going to...this was basically orientation), and find a sign indicating that the machine was only taking cash (in denominations of $1, $5, or $10). Good thing I had cash on me! I stood there feeding all of my ones, fives, and tens into the machine, but it wouldn't accept any. I gave up and the dad behind me tried...no luck. He was about to take off towards the gift shop and main lobby when I said "Wait up! Follow me! I'm going back to the structure and pulling the pregnant card and handing the security guard my ticket and $2 and begging him to let me leave." Seeing the wisdom in my approach, we headed back to the structure together. He headed for his car (and his pregnant wife) and I immediately went to the guard booth. I stuck out the belly (though it does that on its own these days) and pleaded my case. The result? Free parking for us all :) As I headed back to my car I told all of the dads I passed to just say they were with me so they'd get free parking too :) Oh yes, I'm officially known as Twin Mom and have acheived celebrity status among the 15 other couples or so...or they hate me...either way, I love being pregnant with twins! :)

8 comments:

Ruth Anne said...

1. Love the party
2. Moby wraps are fun when they are very small. (I have a used Snugli if interested. Probably another Mayan.)
3. Breast pumps are great. I went back to work after my first, but we knew we were going to have a big family, so we bought the most spendiest. (I successfully pumped working full time with my first 3 until each were a year old.) You can have it. The breast milk only touches the horn and that is only $10-$20 to replace.

Paula said...

1. In my book, anyone having multiples should automatically be upgraded to lots of things!
2. That parking payment process royally sucks.
3. Ruth totally rocks! Sorry I have zilch left to offer. I started off-loading things as soon as Gman out-phased them.

Queen B said...

1. Ruth definitely rocks
2. You should have lobbied for both the available wraps ;)
3. blech for stupid parking rules

Queen B said...

OH and
4. LOVE the pic of the ticket/$

Jenn Ann said...

Ruth totally rocks!!!

Jane said...

Of course Ruth rocks.

And man I wish she had the babies first. I had to rent mine :(

Kim Thomas said...

I have a fundamental problem with paying for parking at a hospital. I hate it.

Hate breast pumps.

LoSpace said...

You deserve TWO Moby wraps!!! LOL.