Sunday, December 13, 2009

2 Hour Response Time

Thursday afternoon, I had a message from Queen B on BBM that went unanswered for 2 hours. This is completely unacceptable given my average response time (exact time will be commented by the Queen). When I finally answered, I told her I'd explain on the blog, it just took 2, make that 3, days longer than planned. Here's my explanation:

Thursday was discharge day from the hospital, but my OB didn't come by until after 2 PM, so we got a late start on the paperwork. Shortly after 3 we got our stack of paperwork, got my staples removed (only 11 of them), and started preparing for departure. I won't bore you with all the details, but by the time the boys were fed, changed, and packed it was 5. Then we had to wait for a wheelchair. Then we dealt with the most RIDICULOUS example of Rule Following vs Common Sense.

The policy on the Postpartum floor is that the ID bracelets are matched up (between mother/father/baby) right at the door, a consent/acknowledgement form signed, and the Lojack bracelet cut off. To do this means that the baby's hands and feet must be uncovered. Times 2. This meant that neither could be wearing more than a t-shirt and then swaddled from the walk from our room to the exit door of the floor. It was in the 50s outside, so we had to carry their outside clothes with us. Times 2. We weren't allowed to put them in their carseats until we were out of the hospital - I had to carry them both while riding in the wheelchair. I waited with the nurse right inside the door while Striker got the car and warmed it up. Then we dressed the baby in the front seat of the car while the heater prevented frostbite and put them in their car seat. Times 2. We created quite the back up in the
patient loading zone, but luckily there was some nice lady we overheard telling everyone that we had twin babies we were putting in the car. People apparently love them some twin babies ;)

We were forced to follow these ridiculous rules despite having a 5ish pound baby that was almost put in the NICU 36 hours earlier because of his issues regulating his body temperature. THANK GOD we were able to be discharged on Thursday before Friday's storm. I could not have imagined doing all of that in the rain.

In hindsight, the only thing we could have done differently would have been to dress them in the lobby, but the temperature there was too cold for Tony with the doors opening and closing constantly, so I guess what we did was really the best thing for the little guy. Times 2.

Did I mention that I'm supposed to be taking it easy? I was so exhausted when we got home...definitely overdid it. Apparently being a mom brings out the rule breaker in me ;)

9 comments:

Queen B said...

It sounds like your life has become very complicated... Times 2 ;)

Diane said...

No time to rest with two little boys.

Jane said...

RO Queen B

KFuj said...

I had the same response time but mine was the day after delivery. I'm sure both of your arms are full.

You seem to be back at it in less than a week. Way to go!

Jenn Ann said...

Look! I even updated pictures and Facebook accordingly!

Paula said...

That had to be sooo frustrating for you guys!!! It's very different and much easier here--our hospital required that the very last thing is nurse sign off that she saw your car seat and demonstrated proper buckling. Lojack removal & buckling in the room before she wheeled us out the door.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex and Tony.....welcome to the world! It is fitting that I am sending you these wishes from a ship docked in Vienna Austria...birthplace of your paternal Oma......you will need to visit here once you are few years older, it is a beautiful city.

we wish you all the best also to your Mom and Dad.....and keep warm! Looking forward to meeting you in person real soon!!!

Kim Thomas said...

I hate getting Sydney in the car when it's raining. Can't imagine with 2 infants

Kim Thomas said...

I hate getting Sydney in the car when it's raining. Can't imagine with 2 infants