Friday, December 11, 2009

We're Home!!!

After a rough few hours after we got home, at 4:30 AM, I think we're going to survive the toughest time in the life of twin parents. Please let me keep my optimism!!!

I overdid it in the process of getting home...I took it easy, but after sitting on my butt for 5 months, I don't have much physical endurance right now. My mom and sister were both here to help us and thank goodness for that!!! Striker is still getting used to napping vs sleeping, and when I'm down and out, he overdoes it and gets exhausted. He's super awesome and is a phenomenal Dad and Husband!!! When helpers are here, they are really helping him the most until I can heal enough to share the workload. (I'm trying to be patient, though have resorted to taking Motrin...if I could just sit around and sleep, I wouldn't need it).

The boys are really good babies right now and are making it pretty easy for us to learn their needs and wants. Sometimes it's not until after a much needed nap that I figure it out, but trial and error has gotten us through a few tough moments already. Every single class that we took was 110% worth it, even though I'd already knew or read most of the info taught from my time spent on bed rest. When you're sleep deprived and holding a crying baby, that repeated knowledge sticks out way better and takes over when your only instinct is telling you to crawl into bed and pull the covers over your head.

Our biggest challenge right now is helping Tony (and sometimes Alex) control his body temperature and the transition to his new environment made him a little fussy until I got the right temperature for our bed room (74-76 degrees in case you're wondering). I learned at the hospital the ratio of my body temp to Tony's with a specific amount of clothing for each of us. This came in quite handy tonight, once I got us balanced, the boys settled right down. (Alex's layers are just one less than Tony's).

All 3 of my men are sleeping at the moment and we're settling into our new pattern...I would say schedule, but there is no control over it at the moment ;) I'm pretty sure Striker will agree with me after he gets a few hours of sleep. We're doing a good job of letting each other know when we've reached our breaking points then taking over so that whoever needs it can get a few solid hours. I just woke up from mine, hence the optimism :)

Our other "challenge" right now is that we're having to feed the boys formula to supplement until my milk comes in, because we need them to plump up quickly to help with body temp issues and general growth (and while it's TMI, some milk just started to come in at my last pumping - THANK GOD!) This is challenging because Striker (or anyone besides me) needs to feed them to help preserve our shot at successfully breastfeeding, which means it's one more thing for Striker to do. He has not once complained, but I know it's tough on him. It's not all challenging though...my biggest problem is trying to get Striker to stop making me laugh for fear of rupturing my incision. There are definitely worse things :)

This has totally turned into a baby blog and there's nothing going to change about that until I do something besides take care of my babies 24/7. Consider yourself warned ;) I have several posts pending (evil nurses, rule following vs common sense, Alex and Tony's Birth Story, and of course daily updates like this), and will fit them in probably around this time every day. Ha! As if I could actually schedule ANYTHING right now!

Random side note: Can I tell you how nice it is to lay flat on my back?! I am so happy to be able to sleep in my own bed, but it's high and kinda hard to get in and out of...especially without using my stomach muscles.

Ok, time to catch a quick nap before someone wakes up...guaranteed NOT to be Striker first ;)

4 comments:

Queen B said...

Good update
Great pic
Looking forward to MORE
This post doesn't explain yesterday's 2 hour bbm response time, unless you meant the picture as the permanent explanation ;)

Jane said...

Ahhhhh motherhood.

I love them facing each other :)

KFuj said...

Queen I think the picture is the permanent explanation.

Great picture, they look so cozy!

Anonymous said...

Awesome story! However, the Mariah Carey part sucked. :( Her Christmas music is as much to Christmas as Arnold Shwarztnegger is to pancakes.

How about something like Nat King Cole? Or even Rodney King? Now, that's Christmas! Lol!

Seriously, I am so happy for you guys! We all have a lot of "growing up" to do! :)