Friday, September 19, 2008

I got an A in Auto Shop...really!

While the hubby was putting air in one of my tires a few nights ago after my Pilot's warning light came on, I commented that we needed to check for a leak, because this particular tire seems to have a slow leak. It generally irritates him that I know a good amount about car maintenance. He knows it's a combo of what I learned from my dad, my first boyfriend, and...taking Auto Shop in high school.

When I was relaying this story via BBM to Queen B, she was perplexed that I'd taken AS in HS. Testing this reaction, I then relayed the story to Kim1Champ, who had the SAME reaction. Thus I am posting this so that you all can know this odd tidbit about me.

It seems very practical to me - I can change a tire, change my oil, and take apart and (possibly still) put back together a carburetor. Granted, I have AAA and would just pay someone to do all of this for me, but if I was ever stranded, I could survive. (I was stranded once, but that is a story for another day). I did get an A (both semesters) and I swear it has nothing to do with the fact that I was one of 2 girls in the class. :)

8 comments:

Queen B said...

*head shaking*

:)

No, it was a smart move. I totally admit that. I'm sure you learned more in that class that you use today than I learned in Introduction to Radio/TV.

Kim Thomas said...

I am RO at the label of this post.

I wish I had gone or they had offered it but it still amazes me that your school had it and you went.

Ruth Anne said...

Wow. I stay far, far away.

Andrea said...

I am very impressed. I took typing in high school...typing, yes, they were preparing me to be a secretary...

Having had to deal with flat tires on multiple occasions, I've only managed to actually change (or attempt to change) one once. That was when the Queen was with me and trust me when I say this, she should have gone to autoshop, if nothing else so that she could read the manual and not miss any steps....

Queen B said...

ouch ;)

Jinjer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jinjer said...

That's insane that
a. you took autoshop and
b. that you got an A!

I took woodshop...is that on the same level of bizarre?

Paula said...

I took a simple 3 hour "Basic mechanics for women" course at a local tire shop with a friend when we were in high school. Learning to change a tire was one thing they covered with tips on how to make it easier. My little brother was VERY peeved when he and I were on the side of the interstate, and every time he couldn't get something to work right, I'd say "Well, in my Basic Mechanics for Women class, they told us to do...yadda yadda"
Very damaging to the male ego.