Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Best Laid Plans

We found out last night that they would finally be paving the streets around our house...YAY! Of course it was sort of short notice...they'd be doing so today and tomorrow. I was initially quite thankful that this was transpiring now instead of in a few weeks when I'd likely go into labor while trapped in my house. According to the schedule, they'd be paving the street right in front of our house on Thursday which was good since I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for today and planned to drop Oskar off at the groomers on my way there and back.

I spent the morning monitoring the progress and everything appeared to be going according to schedule... I took Oskar to the groomers, came home after my appointment because he wasn't ready, and left to pick him up without issue. When I was turning onto my street I saw this:
















Oh oh, Houston we had a problem! You see, not only did I have Oskar with me (with only his collar which he can pull himself out of since he's a dachshund and his chest is so strong - walking him on a leash requires a harness) but I was operating on a fairly tight schedule in order to shower and get ready to go to Will's Surprise Shower at his work. I couldn't park my car any closer than approximately a quarter mile from my house. I could drive down the middle of my street, but couldn't park or get into the streets that lead to my garage. I circled trying to figure out the best place to park that would require the shortest distance and the most time spent walking in the shade. While it was only in the 70s today, I have not walked a quarter mile (much less a half mile round trip) in over 4 months. I was not prepared for a walk of that magnitude and was in need of a bathroom since it had been almost an hour since my last visit. (Go ahead and laugh...have 10 pounds of baby sit on your bladder and see how often you think it needs to be emptied).

I found a spot that I considered best case scenario, left my purse in the car and took only my cell phone and keys, crossed my fingers that Oskar would behave himself on the leash and set off with the following mantra in my head "Please don't go into labor. It's only November 18th, Will's surprise shower is happening in an hour and a half and your being there is part of the surprise." (Repeat)

Oskar was already tired from his trip to the groomers, but thankfully made it about halfway back before he started dragging and slipped out of his collar. Unable to afford slowing down, and being quite tempted to start knocking on doors, I picked Oskar up and carried him the rest of the way. (BTW, bending over to pick him up is something that I find rather comical...I'm surprised I haven't toppled over and crushed him yet!)

















I finally made it to our house half an hour behind schedule and considered having my sister drive 10 miles to my house to drive me the quarter of a mile back to my car, and bless her, she was going to, but I realized that it would take her too long to get there. I still needed to shower (and boy was I sweaty after all that physical activity!) but knew that in order for the mantra to be effective I need to drink a glass of water and lay down for at least 10 minutes...it's amazing how doing that is the pregnancy equivalent of ctrl+alt+delete. Anyhow, I showered and left the house in record time and made it back to my car just in time to make it to the hubby's work on time (well a few minutes late because of construction detours and then several cop cars blocking the detour street).

The highlight of my walk was the construction guy apologizing to me as I waddled past. I told him it wasn't his fault that I had stuff to do today, but he said he felt bad given my condition...I really should have asked him to give me a ride to my car...Hindsight.

4 comments:

Queen B said...

you definitely shoulda hitched a ride back. or parked your car in the middle of the street and had them put a cone in front of it.

omg, from the onset I had a mental image of you picking up Oskar. not good :(

pics from Surprise Shower?

Andrea said...

You poor thing. At least all went well and I love the CTR ALT DEL referrence...I usually have to go so far as to remove the battery, whcih we REALLy don't want to have to do with the pregnancy, at least not yet. :-)

KFuj said...

At the beginning of this post I knew you would have to pick up Oskar and started to laugh just thinking about it... Maybe Mr. KFuj can teach him to jump into your arms after he teaches Ed.

I could have driven you, but I wasn't home either :-( Glad you made it to the shower.

Kim Thomas said...

You are a poster child for PG best practices. Drink a glass of water and lay down for 10 minutes is the equivelant of ctrl-alt-delete. Maybe I should I try that sometime.