Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

Last night I realized that our fireworks did not come with a Sensible Sam bag like last year. I was concerned that we might not celebrate safely and responsibly without Sensible Sam's tips. ;)Thankfully there are tips on the back of the box.

#1 - Observe local laws. Use good common sense and always read and follow the directions on each firework. - Are they sure that the average Joe still has common sense? They might as well just say don't be stupid! Clearly open to interpretation.

#2 - Never point or throw fireworks at another person. - I know several people who do not follow this rule. They are the reason that I fear flowers. I have a feeling there may be deliberate violation of this rule tonight.

#3 - Use only State Fire Marshal-Approved Fireworks. - This one is easy. I'm not going to Mexico or an Indian Reservation. I will gladly go to the TNT stand less than a mile from my house.

#4 - Only use fireworks outdoors, away from homes, dry grass, or trees. - This one proves that they don't believe that #1 was explanatory enough for those "with" common sense.

#5 - Put used fireworks in a bucket of water and have a hose ready. - Hose ready, check. We just hose them all off before tossing them into the trash can.

#6 - Have an adult present. - Someone 18+ or someone that is actually responsible? I feel they should specify further. ;)

#7 - Light only one item at a time and keep a safe distance. Many fireworks come with a fuse that glows in the dark. Use a flashlight when lighting the firework. - One at a time? That's not fun. Do they need to tell you that the fuses glow in the dark? Flashlight? Haven't they heard of streetlights? Wait I live in cow country, some places have no streetlights. I'll give them a pass on this one.

3 comments:

Kim Thomas said...

I very pleased to hear that the safety instructions have been reviewed.

Ruth Anne said...

Good advice. We just got the worms.

Queen B said...

I feel like if rule #1 is followed, #2 and #4 are unnecessary ;)