Monday, November 26, 2007

Grocery Store Snob?

Sometime in the last few months I've become a food snob. Possible causes?
  • 9 days in Colorado (people are more wholesome and don't require fast food)
  • Living with Margot for most of that time (she loves to cook and hide healthy stuff in tasty food)
  • Losing 20 pounds post-op and wanting to lose more (and be healthy and keep it off)
  • Watching Rachel Ray when I wasn't working from home (she makes cooking fun)
  • Watching Jon & Kate +8 (the woman makes a point to buy organic food for 10 people!)
  • Taking a Nutrition class (and having to write a report on Eating for Life)
  • Brain Surgery (when in doubt, it's always a great excuse!)
Since we moved in June, I've struggled to find a grocery store that I liked. I've ended up going to various stores for various different things. I've avoided the Vons by my gym because I have always perceived Vons as being too expensive. Tonight the hubby and I went there because I figured it was worth trying as we only needed a few things.

I was sold from the minute I walked in. It had a Trader Joes/Henry's sort of feel and had organic/healthy choices for just about everything! I got a ton of food and didn't end up spending much more than I normally would have. Bonus - their soups looked and smelled tasty and they have a handy floral/gift shop type corner - oh and they have a Panda Express inside which is the hubby's favorite fast food choice.

I'm going to see if the hubby can detect the organic/healthy ingredients in the dinners I'll be making and see if he likes them. (He was unable to detect the wheat pasta that I used last week - score 1 for the wife). I'm also going to play a little game called Mind over Matter and see if I can convince myself that I like vegetables. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Ann said...

I've never heard of Vons, but I do like Henry's, Sprouts and Trader Joe's.

Ann said...

You've won a special blogger award! See post on my blog for details.

karinski said...

yay! I loooooove Organic food. Trader Joe's is my favorite and almost all my shopping is done there.

Jane said...

Vons is great.

20 pounds? even better!!!

Anonymous said...

Trader Joes rocks!!! Vons clam chowder& crab&corn chowder are the best.

Anonymous said...

You can do it!! Look what you have accomplished in your short life.

Kim Thomas said...

I almost always shop at Vons (Safeway for the AZ folks). I particularly love the Signature Soups (Tuscan Tomato Basil is my favorite)

Teri said...

I havent heard of any of these stores