Friday, November 30, 2007

Nothing good happens before 8:00 AM

Reason 485 that being the older sibling can suck even though it's rewarding at the same time: You receive a phone call on your home phone at 6:30 AM on a Friday!!!

Now for most people (including me normally) 6:30 AM on Friday isn't so bad. However, since I've been working from home for weeks now, I haven't opened my eyes before 7:00 except to kiss the hubby good-bye, roll over and go back to sleep until 7:30 AM.

Today at 6:30 AM my home phone rings. I roll over trying to figure out what day/time it is while reaching for the phone. I see my mom's name on the phone and instantly panic that something is wrong, as my mom strictly follows the cell phone only rule this early in the morning since she knows the hubby has every other Friday off and today is one of those Fridays.

It's my sister (she's on my mom's cell plan, and had I being functioning better - or at all - I would have recognized the number below my mother's name). Still worried that something has happened to my mom now. This conversation ensues:
Me: Hello? (tone of slight panic)
Sistor: Sistor?
Me: What?
Sistor: I need directions.
Me: What?! What's wrong?
Sistor: I need directions to work. There's an accident on the freeway.
Me: What? I thought you carpooled.
Sistor: Carpool buddy has pink eye.
Me: (Sigh/groan) Hold on. (stumbling out of bed, stumbling to office, opening laptop)
Sistor: It's raining too.
Me: Lovely.

Our conversation continued with my vowing to purchase a navigation system for her for Christmas instead of the Coach ring she asked for...I'm the big sister, I know what's best. We played guess the street name as I moved the little blue line on Google Maps to the appropriate route and then texted the directions to her.

Side note: Today was my last day of working from home and I knew I was totally going to be screwed next week when I needed to get up at the ungodly hour of 5:30 AM. Secretly (not so secretly now) this early morning phone call sort of helps me out.

I'm gonna make a run to Starbucks now...not functioning normally and need a dash of caffeine for good measure. Plus the Christmas cups are a guaranteed mood lifter, so I guess to answer Kim1Bump's question - Depressed going in, Joy coming out.

Side note #2: Hubby just went to put the trash cans outside as today is trash day and he forgot to put them out last night - another benefit to a 6:30 AM wake up call.

7 comments:

Ruth Anne said...

It is better than a DD at 3am from your sister in law.

Unknown said...

seriously... did you want me to not go to work....your directions worked perfectly...but one of the streets was wrong...good thing i have a great sense of direction :)

Ann said...

I'm usually the DD that calls people at 3 am. But usually not my sisters!

Kim Thomas said...

Hate the early morning family call that always sends panic through me.

A few weeks ago Jane called me at 4:00 am, totally panicked. She called by mistake. LOL

Jane said...

My family has a terrible sense of a direction. Thank god for my caution friend.

Queen B said...

GPS sounds like a GREAT Christmas present :) At least it got you to Starbucks!

Teri said...

Whats a DD?