Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bert the Fish

As I commented on Queen B today, I kill all living plants with very few exceptions (I think I inherited this trait from my mother). I have had some luck with a bamboo plant that is almost to its third anniversary with me, but my beta fish, Bert, outlived my first bamboo plant. All other plants? Dead.

Back in the days when I was the co-admin of the office, my co-admin and I thought that it'd be neat to have beta fish. She got Ernie, then I got Bert a few days later. It made us happy to come into the office every day and have someone to greet us happily (even if the little guys just wanted to be fed).

The only part that sucked was cleaning out their bowls. I have a fear of flopping fish (aka fish out of water) ever since I was in a pet store when I was younger and watched a little fishy commit suicide by jumping out of his tank and flopping about. On one of our early bowl cleaning afternoons, we safely transported the fishies to their respective cup holding tanks and then assigned one of the sales guys to "fish-sit". We returned to find the sales guy chatting with a colleague and poor little Bert flopping around on the table outside of his cup.

Thankfully Bert was saved and went on to live a long life of about 3 years!

5 comments:

Queen B said...

OMG - how traumatic! I can't even tell you how many tetras I killed off when I had a fish tank as a teenager.

I am totally with you on flopping fish fears. In Hawaii when I was snorkeling, I would literally "run" away from fish just because they kinda freak me out!

Ann said...

LOL! Three years is a long life for a beta, isn't it? That's great! Love the names, too!

Anonymous said...

I've had 2 beta fish thus far. The first one lived about 3 years,the second one died within a year. It was during last summers heatwave. I came home and he was just floating. Oh and same here about the flopping fish thing. Everytime I would clean their bowls I would start shaking,totally creeps me out!!

Anonymous said...

My fear of Edwin (our beta) jumping out of the bowl is why Scott's job is to clean Edwin's bowl. Edwin was a centerpiece at our wedding a year and a half ago!! Edwin has a great personality.. He jumps to get his food (seriously) and swims to you when you call his name:-) He makes me very happy. I will be sad when Edwin dies:-( Wow this is almost like a blog, humm

Kim Thomas said...

So thats why you commented on the Fish out of water....I have been terrible on the blogs this week but you better believe I am now back in business!!!!!