Monday, January 14, 2008

Higher Education? (Part Three)

As I'm becoming accustomed, no one is at the counter at the bookstore so I walk right up after finding my books. While the guy is ringing me up, I overhear a training session going on about ten feet away for employees of the bookstore.

Adult (non-student) to student staff: Now make sure to always get a phone number when someone writes a check.
Student: Why?
Adult: Let's say someone owes $140, but they only write the check for $117. If you have their phone number, you can call them and get the rest of the money.

Things I find absolutely ABSURD about this:
1 Why would this be happening within 10 feet of where someone is PAYING?
2 Who still WRITES checks in stores if at all?
3 If someone were to be intentionally writing the check for an amount less than what they owed, why would they give their true phone number?
4 How could someone unintentionally write a check for $117 instead of $140?

4 comments:

Kim Thomas said...

My question: How would they get out of the damn store with the books without paying the full amount? Can I go there? I need some new office supplies....oops, on second thought, I will go to Staples ;)

Ann said...

Nice! I'll write a check for $117 to get $140 worth of stuff! Sign me up!

Queen B said...

HAAAAAAAAA! This is the craziest thing ever! Nice training!

Anonymous said...

How funny! As anal as the employees at a college bookstore are, I'm sure no one would be able to leave without paying the entire amount.