Wednesday, January 23, 2008

When Sales Skills Pay Off

It occurred to me last weekend that my national sales conference for work conflicts with a week of my class that just might be a tad critical the first week of April. By critical I mean an exam and a final lab before another exam the following week. Not a good thing.

I tell the instructor my situation tonight and she's not selling me on the fact that she's willing to work with me and says something to the effect of "we'll see how you're doing at that point to see if it's worth my time to do the extra work to accommodate you".

I go in for the close. Yes, that's right, I pull the brain surgery card. No good lead in other than that I plan to do well in the class as I'm extremely interested in the field post surgery for Chiari Malformation. That gets her attention, and she bites!!! She asked questions, I explained. I dazzled her with my knowledge of the lingo such as posterior, foramen, fossa, occipital, vertebrae, spasms, etc. She asked if I would mind sharing the films and reports with her. Of course not!

As I go to leave, she comments that she expects that I'll be doing just fine by April and we'll work something out. SCORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!

6 comments:

Queen B said...

NICE! Can't believe you're using your brain surgery as a trump card ;) you go, girl! make it work for ya!

Bianka said...

Well, of all the low down dirty no good rotten things... :) Good job! Hehe

Kim Thomas said...

The brain surgery card.....I don't have that one to pull.....

Teri said...

whats a brain surgery card? Did you get it at the hospital? It's nice that you can use it to help yourself.

Anonymous said...

That professor got played.

Unknown said...

lol...jenn. you kill me. ;-) great job!