Sunday, January 13, 2008

Higher Education? (Part Two)

There's a guy waiting outside the building directing "traffic" - I'm the only one there so he sends me over to the parking permit table where there are three "officers" waiting. All of the "officers" are clearly students there in their early twenties aka younger than me. One male, two females.

The guy flags me down as I walk into the room and I figure he's just bored and wants something to do. (While he's helping me - I assume - that the two girls are playing solitaire, free cell, or mine sweeper on their computers pretending to look busy while carrying on a personal conversation). While he's entering my info into the computer and processing the permit, he makes small talk in such a way that it gives me the impression he's trying to be flirty.

Several things occur to me:
1) He's not married
2) He's a hormone driven college kid who thinks that all women love him
3) He doesn't care that I'm married
4) GOSH I'M OLD!

He finally finishes the processing and I'm off for the student ID. It's at this point that I notice my receipt still has my maiden name on it despite its being printed post name change. There are two workers in the ID room and no students. I explain to the guys that I just processed a name change but it wasn't yet showing up in their system apparently because my receipt still showed my old last name.

One of the guys (who looked like a nerdy little IT geek - sorry hot IT women that are reading this) replies in a tone that I can only compare to Dwight on The Office, "I'm sorry ma'am but policy requires us to use the name that's on the printout on the card." No biggie I'll just wait until it's processed, "How long will it take to show up in your system?" Dwight #2: "Well another lady (it's occurs to me that he's calling me a lady - GOSH I'M OLD!) was able to get a correct printout right after I sent her back the other day." Ok, no big deal, I'll do that. The whole point in changing my name is that I'd no longer need to have two forms of ID all the time.

I head back to the Admissions & Records building deciding that this is going to count as my workout for the day and find a rather long line. Forget it! I do not need an ID card that badly. Should I need it, I'll stand in line, otherwise I paid $2.50 for nothing - I can live with that.

I head to the bookstore...to be continued in Part Three...sorry, KT hates long blogs. I feel obligated to break this story up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being that I too attend a community college(MtSAC), I know that there was most likely more incompetence awaiting you in the bookstore!!

Kim Thomas said...

I wrote a very long blog this week so rather than groaning about the long blog I happily read it all the way through! Good Story too!

After reading part two I went and read part one. True Committment from the Champ!

Queen B said...

LOL, lady!