Monday, June 22, 2009

Ode to the Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Is there any better comfort food than a grilled cheese sandwich? Especially one that is so nutritionally balanced?

Other comfort foods come to mind: mashed potatoes, "sick soup" (broth with those tiny noodles), Jello pudding. None are as good for you as the grilled cheese, especially when it's on whole wheat bread. You get your dairy, calcium, protein, whole grains, and fiber. Throw in a fruit or veggie and it's quite the nutritious meal!

I have consumed more grilled cheese sandwiches in the last 12 weeks than probably in any year of my childhood, and my grandma made them for me on a very regular basis-cut into squares of course. Does anyone else love them as much as I do? I encourage you to comment your love in a grilled cheese haiku. :) There might be a prize for the best haiku ;)

9 comments:

Queen B said...

More grilled cheese for me
Especially when I'm sick
Plus tomato soup


tomato soup + grilled cheese = what I actually make for Chris when he is sick

Paula said...

Princess's favorite meal for sure

would eat daily

if I'd let her

Paula said...

PS--- my pg cravings. With Al was sweet n sour chicken. and Twix.

With Princess it was House Salad and Loaded baked potato from O'Charleys.....ooohhhh did I eat ALOT of those!

Ruth Anne said...

Every time I think of grilled cheese, I think of the college diner. It was my regular.

I wish I could make a good one. My kids have never eaten one at my house. (I know, horrible!)

Bianka said...

I have no haiku for you.. but I want to let you know that John makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever had. Some day you will have to drag your tired disappearing rear end over here and have a few!

Anonymous said...

I pretty much am the queen of grilled cheese. Ever since becoming a veggie...
My favorite: Sourdough and PepperJack Grilled Cheese.

EHW

Jane said...

Careful, dont get a pregnancy aversion!

Kim Thomas said...

I loved grilled cheese when pregnant. It wasnt a craving but I did eat it alot.

Jocelyn said...

I do! Great now I'm craving one. Too bad I can't make them like the diners do!