Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Real" Clothes

I had a debate with one of my friends today on Facebook. We were discussing which destinations required wearing "real" clothes, and which you could get away with whatever covered the necessary body parts.

We agreed that drive-thrus did not require real clothes. We disagreed on gas stations and Walmart. I have never gone to a gas station in anything but real clothes. She says gas stations do not require that effort. I say that you never know who is going to drive by, and real people stop at gas stations so I wouldn't want to be the bum in sweats. However, I would stop at the gas station in gym clothes and I don't consider those real clothes. Hmmm, she might have something there.

We all know I loathe Walmart. I think almost every trip I've made there in the last 2.5 years has been documented on this blog. However, today I needed cheap vases, soda, and mass quantities of Pilsbury Whipped Supreme frosting (there is no better frosting!). All items are for my uncle's wedding and I'm working with a very tight budget. That led me to Walmart. As usual, I had to dodge rude and inconsiderate shoppers (yes, I realize that my mom and I chose what is probably one of the worst times to go to Walmart-Sunday afternoon). My attire for the outing was sweatpants and a fitted T-shirt with flip flops, hair in pony tail, no make up. Not real clothes. Real clothes would be jeans, or shorts, or something I wouldn't lay around the house in. For Target, I'd wear real clothes. However, sweatpants are the standard dress code for Walmart.
What other places is it acceptable to not wear real clothes?

5 comments:

Queen B said...

Yeah, I definitely don't feel the need to put on real clothes to go to wal-mart. I know that even in my sweats I will look more normal than most others ;)

Paula said...

I wear real clothes all the time, no matter where I go. My kids generate enough extra laundry every day that I'm strictly a "one outfit per day" to avoid making any extra for myself.

Ruth Anne said...

I think only with gas stations.

However, on the Wally-world comment, if I don't put on real clothes, I don't put on makeup. I wouldn't want people to think I tried to look like that.

Andrea said...

I'm glad that you clarified what the icing was for because I was thinking you were having a serious strange craving...

I'd have to agree that wal-mart and drive-thru's do not require real clothes. Gas stations in your workout clothes if you are coming or going to a workout are okay, but otherwise I'd feel a little strange about it...Oh what am I saying... there are days when I'd live in comfy pants and a t-shirt and go everywhere in them if I was guaranteed that I wouldn't see anybody I knew or had the possibility of meeting "Mr. Right".

Kim Thomas said...

Hate Wallmart. I am almost always fully dressed. Drive through is the only acceptable location in pajammas