Saturday, October 3, 2009

Glucose Test

Thursday I took my glucose tolerance test. Drinking the lemon lime flavored stuff was super nasty. Most people get orange...I'm 2 for 2 with lemon lime. It's what I imagine Sprite would taste like without being diluted by carbonated water. GAG! I can't really complain too much though because I didn't have to fast and it was only the 1 hour version. (I've previously survived the fasting 3 hour version before I was pg...definitely not something I'd want to repeat while pg and used to eating and drinking water every few hours.)

Why is it that Quest Diagnostics reminds me of the DMV or Social Security office? Anyone else share this with me?

While sitting there post syrup guzzle and pre-visit to Vampira (what I call the blood suckers), I was interrogated by a woman about my belly - and I contemplated making a sandwich board to wear when I leave the house with the following: "Twin boys due in early December. no, twins do not run in our family. yes, we are very excited. yes, we have picked out their names. no, i'm not telling you because not even our families know and I don't want to hear all of your 'suggestions'. Yes, I know it'll be a lot of work, and I'm prepared for little sleep. I'm also a good multi-tasker and feel that I can handle it (especially with the help of my family and friends), but thank you for your lack of confidence." I realize that it'd have to be a pretty big board to fit all of that legibly, but I figure the belly is a pretty good canvas.

I was continually annoyed by the number of people who think it's okay to sit in a waiting room and carry on a conversation on their cell phones for the duration of their wait. Maybe this is why I'm such a fan of texting and BBM...I know I'm not disturbing others...I consider it a form of public service ;)

Then I got to witness this conversation:
Quest Front Desk Lady: Sir, have you been fasting?
Foreign Looking Man: (pause) No.
QFDL: Did you have food today?
FLM: No.
QFDL: Then you've been fasting.

After sucking just two medium sized vials of blood, Vampira taped me up like this:















Necessary? I think not!!! She also told me to keep my arm straight so it wouldn't bruise, which was a first for me...and I've had A LOT of blood drawn in the last 18 years. I didn't bruise, but hardly ever do. I think the extreme compression helped, but 1 tiny piece of gauze and tape with a bent elbow has done the trick many times before. There was seriously a half inch stack of gauze under all that tape...and my arms have a good amount of hair on them...or did before I ripped the tape off...thank goodness it wasn't the plastic kind!

3 comments:

Jane said...

Isnt it amazing that our ancestors didnt have to do this, yet we were all born fine

Queen B said...

I was contemplating getting you a T-shirt made with your message, but I think the extended version would require front and back... Then you'd constantly have to be twirling around, and I don't think that'd be good for anyone.

Nice band-aid.

Kim Thomas said...

I had the lemon lime and the orange. I actually like the lemon lime better.