Monday, October 19, 2009

In Hate With Target

Historically I never return things. If you go back to my very first month of blogging this is elaborated on and demonstrated thoroughly involving a sewing machine and Walmart.

We received 2 rather large and expensive baby gifts that necessitated my returning them for both space and monetary reasons, so I took back a few of the smaller items that we had duplicates of as well.

Tomorrow is cleaning lady Tuesday, so I figured tonight would be a good night to return the items with Striker's slave labor, I mean help/heavy lifting.

We went to Babies R Us first since I was afraid they might close earlier and I knew Target was open until 10. Checking out at BRU is usually a long process so I was prepared for the worst. It went so smoothly that we were holding our gift card for the returned items in under 5 minutes from getting out of the car. I had a 15% off coupon that expired Thursday, so Striker and I went to check out the strollers. We test drove them around the aisles and practiced moving the various components around, fell in love with what we now call the Cadillac, and made our purchase. We also checked out playards because I am still in a debate with myself over what will best suit the needs of twin infants.

We headed off to Target which I'd figured would be a snap since their online return/gift receipt printing process was super easy.

To summarize the experience:
-It took just as long to make our return of 5 items on 2 gift receipts as it did for the entire BRU visit.
-The returns girl was training someone else and was unable to multitask.
-It took 4 transactions to return all of the 5 items on 2 separate online order receipts.
-I had to provide my drivers license twice despite having gift receipts for all items (I did not have them for one at BRU - no driver's license required, they just pulled it off my registry).
-I tried to casually help the chick when she repeatedly got stuck and didn't know how to process the return of the various item. She unsuccessfully tried to pretend she knew better and blew me off...multiple times.

I suggested that Striker go take this picture while I was watching the lead girl try to work HER company's website for me. She gave up and let me take over so that I could prove to her that I had in fact printed the gift receipt correctly and that both items I was returning were on the same receipt (she'd just entered them wrong repeatedly).

In the event that you ever want to work at Target and process returns, here is what you need to do:

Scan gift receipt.

Scan item being returned.

Enter the code on the right of the gift receipt which corresponds to the price paid.

Put balance due to customer on gift card by scanning gift card.

If you are unable to scan the item being returned, enter the code on the left of the gift receipt next to the corresponding items description. You can be sure that it's the correct item by looking at the flipping shipping label on the box that has the SAME ORDER NUMBER as the gift receipt you are holding. Just saying...

And when the customer is patiently waiting while you spend HALF AN HOUR processing her return for 5 items on 2 orders and she kindly states that when she went to verify in store that she had printed the gift receipt correctly that it only lists the item once despite having multiple quantities on the order, DO NOT TAKE YOUR TRAINEE WITH YOU TO MAKE HER PROVE IT TO YOU!!!!!! Otherwise, understand that you'll become fodder for her blog :)

7 comments:

Kim Thomas said...

RO! A couple of comments:

(1) I will need to do a post on BRU returns when it's not on your registry...or rather the person purchasing didn't tell them it was for the registry.

(2) I thought your cleaning lady was there Friday ;)

(3) I never return items......JAne on the other hand....

(4) Which stroller did you decide on?

KFuj said...

Returning is the same everywhere... how do they not know how to do this.

I will be looking forward to Kim's post on BRU returns.

I love that you showed the girl she was wrong and her trainee was standing there with you guys.

Good Job Striker on taking a nice picture.

Jenn Ann said...

Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem in Twilight (it's blue and gray...old model was bright red...Striker is pleased that the new color is less attracting of bees)

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3572947

Super easy to drive...seemed lighter than the Graco Duo even though it weighs more. LOVE all the seat options. We cannot wait to assemble and play with all the functions.

Jenn Ann said...

Oh yes, Striker has mastered discrete photography...he even coughed at the appropriate moment to cover up the click when the picture took :)

Queen B said...

NOT GOOD, Target

How fun was it to work today?

Jane said...

Ok i will admit, too long for my attention span. However, loved the picture and I rarely shop at Target

Andrea said...

I return stuff all the time, mostly because I always second guess myself once I've gotten home. I have never had a problem with returning things to Target, but it always stuff that I've purchased myself, and normally if I have my credit card that I purchased it with, then there isn't even the need to have the receipt.